It IS ESSENTIAL TO REDUCE ENERGY CONSUMPTION REDUCE GLOBAL POLLUTION
Electricity generation using fossil fuels (oil, coal and gas), which emit greenhouse gases (GHG). Transportation and industry are the main agents of pollution. Energy generation from these fuels world generates 61% of all greenhouse gases. GHG emissions in Argentina also come mainly from this sector, which represents 47% of the total.
Along with global warming, there are other challenges that have become urgent. Global demand for energy is growing at an astonishing rate. Excessive dependence on energy imports from a few countries, creating instability and insecurity in the supply and prices of oil and gas steadily increasing, have placed energy security as a concern in the political agendas of governments around the world.
Climate change is already affecting our lives and it is anticipated that it will destroy the livelihood of many people in developing countries, many ecosystems and species in the coming decades. For this reason we must dramatically reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, an important measure both from the standpoint of environmental, social and economic.
According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the forum of experts from the United Nations, an increase in global temperature is expected during the next 100 years up to 5.8 degrees Celsius, an increase much faster than that experienced up now in the history of mankind. Faced with this situation there is growing consensus not exceed 2 ° increase in global temperatures compared to pre-industrial era. Faced with an increase of 2 ° C and above will cause a dramatic increase in damage to ecosystems causing social and natural disasters.
Among scientists there is a consensus that a fundamental change in the patterns of energy production and consumption should begin as soon as possible. We need a complete transformation of how to generate, distribute and consume energy. Only one [r] evolution will enable us to limit global warming
less than 2 ° Celsius, a revolution that will generate a reduction in global GHG emissions 50% by 2050 compared with levels 1990.03
This great change must be made considering the use of existing renewable energy and the adoption of new energy efficiency measures.
We have very little time to change our energy system and achieve these goals: 8 years is the maximum term that we have to change the growing trend of global emissions.
Energy consumption efficiency is established as the most effective action in the short and medium term for the optimal use of energy. At the same time it is the most effective way to reduce emissions of CO2 (carbon dioxide) into the atmosphere, thus limiting global warming way.
Before buying or launch any device, ask yourself if you really need it or if you can share.
If you decide to purchase any power consumers choose which consume less energy, within which serve to the functions you need. Require the seller to provide full information on the energy consumption of the appliance to buy, because not all appliances use the same. The difference in energy consumption between similar devices can reach 90%.
There are some devices that the mere fact of being connected energy consumed by the Stand By (or standby). Disconnect them when not in use.
In the immediate term and in some cases, the alternative proposal creates a new investment, but that money will be invested in principle quickly amortized by the energy savings generated by the efficient action from the decrease in the amount of the electric bill.
There is no time to waste.
• Pumping water to our homes consume a lot of energy, thus saving water is also a means of saving energy.
• Close the tap while brushing your teeth or shaving, and choose shower rather than bath.
• Repair faucets and toilets that do not close properly and place a filter on every faucet (aerator) to save water.
• If you are installing new taps, a single handle is the most efficient system.
• Take advantage of daylight. Turn off lights when leaving rooms. Do not leave lights on permanently.
• Place lamps “low consumption” (called CFLs) instead of the normal incandescent bulbs. You will win in quality and quantity of light: last 8 to 10 times. Although the price of these lamps is higher than that of traditional, due to its low power consumption and its duration, they are amortized energy savings they generate.
• Continue to use fluorescent tubes where you have, as they consume much less than traditional bulbs, but keep in mind that consume more energy when you turn them on. Do not install in rooms where there is that light switch on and off frequently.
• Use white or light and bright colors to paint ceilings and walls. They reflect and distribute light better.
• Wash in cold or at a lower temperature. Dissolve the powder detergent before starting the wash.
• Wait to fill the dishwasher completely before starting it.
• Use the economic programs. Centrifuge as possible.
• When buying a washing machine or dishwasher, ask those who consume less energy and water. If possible, with two water (hot / cold), so that
Washing Machine and Dishwasher
• Do not put hot things in the refrigerator or freezer.
• Do not place the refrigerator near heat sources (oven window where insolated).
• Open the doors of the refrigerator / freezer as quickly as possible. Verify that fit well.
• Thaw regularly.
• Do not block the ventilation grates of the refrigerator.
Keep them clean of dust.
• When buying a refrigerator, choose a volume that really need and consume less energy. Refrigerators have to submit a qualifying energy efficiency label, use that information to decide your purchase. Insist “Greenfreeze”, that do not use CFCs, or HCFCs, which destroy the ozone layer, and HFC, very dangerous for climate change technology.
• If the engine seems to be running continuously, call for maintenance.
• Set the thermostat at a temperature not too low.
the hot water inlet is connected to the hot water system of the house is the washing machine preventing / dishwasher which make this work using electricity.
• Shop for clothes to dry air and sun. And note that the dishes can also be dried alone.
• Insulate your home (in order of importance: ceiling, walls, floor), but avoid doing it with foam containing gases harmful to the ozone layer (there are alternative insulating materials such as fiberglass, mineral wool or cork). Put double or windows or insulated glass. Check the locks on doors and windows and seal cracks in walls or ceilings for not escape the heat. Use insulation around the tanks and piping hot water.
• Do not open windows with the heating or air conditioning on.
• Install a thermostat on the heater and adjust it so as not to excessively high temperatures (20-22 ° C in winter).
With the right clothes each time, you can reduce the need for heating or air conditioning. In the case of water heater, adjust the suitable temperature or place the
thermostat between 55-60 ° C, avoid heating the water first and then re-cooled mixing it with cold water.
• When installing a heating and / or hot water, discard electrical: wasted more energy and is more expensive. In order the best systems are: solar, biogas, biomass, wood, natural gas or bottled gas.
• Periodically check the condition of the boiler.
• To heat a small, well-insulated room use a small electric heater.
• If you build or remodel their home, consider the bioclimatic architecture (passive solar). Use and distribute building blocks so that maximize solar energy.
• Let the sun in winter, not summer, helping blinds, curtains, awnings, cornices … If you can, plant deciduous trees (fig, fig, etc.) along the north side of your home: They will give shade in summer, and help to make air conditioning unnecessary.
• A ceiling fan can replace the air conditioning, or reduce its consumption.
• If you need air conditioning, choose one of evaporative cooling, which also consume less destructive gases prevents the ozone layer. Select which consume less energy and requiring no use CFCs, HCFCs or HFCs.
• Set the temperature control cooling air conditioners at 24 °.
• Place the air conditioner on the shady side of the building. On hot days, turn it on before the building is hot. Keep filters clean as instructed.
• When buying a kitchen, prefer the gas replacement power.
• When cooking, cover pots and pans. Preferably use a pressure cooker. Center it well over the flame, and ensure that it does not exceed the base of the pan.
• Once it starts boiling, reduce heat to a minimum and use the least amount of water for cooking and boiling or roasting pan, use a toaster oven instead.
• Try not to open the oven door during operation. And remember that exceed one hour for cooking, no need to preheat the oven.
• Use the microwave instead of a conventional oven.
Stove and oven
The incidence of transport in energy consumption and air pollution is huge. This could be greatly reduced with highly beneficial consequences for the environment and our health, if we transportásemos in a more rational way, assessing what is the most effective means of transportation for our needs.
Calculate the actual time spent, the economic cost or inconvenience and amenities offered by each mode of transport (like the stress of traffic jams, the time spent searching for parking and its cost, fines …).
Therefore we recommend
• Using public transport instead of the car. If you can not access to public service in his neighborhood, let them know the city government.
• Preferably, you walk or use a bicycle. If you must use auto share it, four people in one car is better than four cars with one person.
• If you use the car, always hold up. Especially check the tire pressure, wheel alignment, the state of the air filter and spark plugs and carburetor.
• Drive smoothly, avoiding abrupt stops and accelerated. Do not abuse of speed. More than 50 km / h, close the windows.
• Reduce and reuse materials. They consume a lot of energy in its production, which is not recovered in hazardous waste dumps or landfills.
• Separate dry waste (packaging, paper and fabrics), wet and deposit them in separate containers on your block. In case you have containers, type the City Government demanding the appropriate containers and full implementation of the Law on Zero Waste. You can use organic waste to produce compost.
• If you need to buy a car, choose one that suits your needs and consume less fuel.
• Buy products from places as close as possible to your location
• Avoid plastic, disposable or excessively packaged products. If you shop try not to use plastic bags, take your cloth bag or cart.
• Avoid batteries! Use electrical appliances whenever possible.
It consumes much more energy to produce a stack that we get from it. If that is not possible, use rechargeable batteries.
• We recommend turning off the computer if it is not used for periods exceeding one hour; or, if not feasible, the shutdown monitor.
• It is useful to have equipment off systems “bookmark” or marker. These systems allow, through the proper sequence of keys, disconnect the computer recording the last position has been off what enables it to boot the computer do the work in the position where we left off when you shut down again.
• The only screen saver mode that saves energy is something that leaves a black screen. We suggest a time of 10 minutes to come on stream this screen saver mode.
• When purchasing a TV has the power consumption of each note. In LCDs, the transistors that make up each image point are constantly on, even when the color is black, what triggers their energy consumption. A plasma TV, a size equal conditions, can save between 20 and 30% of energy.
For the purchase of computers it is recommended:
• manufacturers request proper identification of efficient equipment using recognizable logos and energy saving systems. Those computers, and monitors
have the logo “Energy Star” can move into a state of repose after a certain time, which is usually set to 30 minutes; in this state consumption of each element should be less than 30W.
• The purchase of notebooks, since they use 25% of energy used by desktop PCs.
• When renewing equipment, select the lowest energy consumption. For example, laptops are the most efficient.
• The computer monitor is an element of high consumption. Choose for your screensaver energy saving option. Thus, the monitor turns off after a certain time and back in operation by moving the mouse, reducing by 80% its energy consumption.
• Call attention to the energy loss or waste of notice in your workplace.
• Promote the efficient use of energy saving lamps in your workplace and demand responsible behavior on and off the electronics.
• The size of the equipment affects their energy consumption, so it is necessary to assess the real needs and choose those that best satisfy.
• When purchasing a printer, consider that they have the option duplexer that allows significant savings in paper and energy.
The figures indicate the approximate percentage of energy saved compared to consuming the device / activity before the change.
Energy saving lamp 80%
Washing in cold: 80/92%
Energy-efficient washing machine: 40/70%
Energy efficient refrigerator: 45/80%
Well insulated home heating: 50/90%
Gas heating instead of electricity: 53/80%
Heat pump instead of electric heating: 50%
Gas cooker instead of electricity: 73%
Oven gas instead of electricity: 60/70%
Tender dryer instead of 100%
Washing with hot water intake (bithermal): 75%
Dishwasher with hot water intake (pretérmico): 68/77%
Dishwasher cold: 75%
Use recycled paper instead of virgin paper: 50%
Recycling aluminum: 90%
Showering instead of bathing: 66%
Carpooling with 2, 3 or 4 people: 50/66/75%
Use the collective rather than the car: 80%
Walk or bike instead of a car: 100%
How much energy
you can save
Efficient car: 16/25%
Driving at 90 km / h instead of 110 km / h: 25%
Small car rather large: 44%
Cover pans when cooking and adjust the flame size: 20/60%
Pressure cooker: 50%
Allow ventilation grates refrigerator: 15%
Upload a degree the thermostat of the refrigerator: 5/8%
Defrost regularly: 30%
Toaster oven instead of 65/75%
Gas water heater instead of electricity: 60/70%
Solar water heater with gas support, instead of a gas water heater: 60%
Solar water heater, with support gas, electric water heater instead of 85%
Download a degree temperature heating thermostat: 10%
Up one degree the temperature of the air conditioning thermostat: 8%
Ceiling fans instead of air conditioning: 98%
Evaporative air conditioning refrigeration instead of 90%
Needs heat / cold after closing small air leaks in the echo / walls: 20/25%
Needs and heating after isolating the roof: 20/25%
Uncover the air filter of the car: 20%
Properly inflated tires: 10%
1. Before hot foods cool or freeze the refrigerator, let it cool.
2. Defrost your fridge regularly. Ice buildup makes the energy it needs to function is greater.
3. Do not put your refrigerator near a hot, or directly exposed to sunlight source.
4. A full fridge keeps the cold better than an empty one.
5. Make sure the heat coming out of the radiators are not blocked by curtains, chairs, etc.
6. Use the microwave to reheat. This spend less energy than heating up a pan.
7. Try to use the appropriate pan on the stove function.
8. Keep the stove clean and they bring the heat better.
9. Preheat the oven only 5 minutes and turn it off 10 minutes earlier.
10. Insulate the attic is the best investment you can make energy. In the long run you will save on heating.
11. Use the dishwasher fully loaded
12. Keep tires inflated. Tires at half load expend more energy.
13. Check your car regularly. Oil and filters in poor condition reduce engine efficiency.
14. Do not load the car too. Excessive loads dramatically increase energy expenditure of the vehicle when moving.
15. Keep your car windows closed to reduce energy consumption. Especially when road trips.
16. Turn off the engine if you are going to stop over half a minute. The ignition of the car uses less energy.
Did you know?
Allows the temperature during cold seasons descend 1 C about your practice and avoid up to 300kg of CO2-e per year.
Program the thermostat so that at night or when you’re at home reduce heat, and avoid about 440 kg of CO2-e per year per household. A well insulated home avoids an annual emission of more than 630 kg of CO2-e.
Up to 25% of the energy you use to heat your house can be escaping through the roof.
One of the cheapest ways is by installing insulation between the joists and the roof (the ideal insulation width is 200mm, whichever is less, should think of increase).
Installation of double glass panels at home help effectively in isolation of buildings. 6 these panels can potentially reduce 4,536 kg of CO2-e.
When you renew your washing machine or refrigerator, prefers those with class A energy labeling and you can save up to 185 kg CO2-e per year.
3 Replace fluorescent bulbs efficient energy use can reduce about 136 kg of CO2-e.
Promotes the use of solar panels in your home and other forms of renewable energy and avoid emissions of more than 500 kg of CO2-e annually.